Bingsu: a Korean dessert

I am currently eating this because I probably won't post otherwise. (Well, okay, I was eating it when I started this post.)

This is Bingsu:
So much is going on in this bowl!


The bottom layer is shaved ice with sweetened milk, over that is green tea ice cream, berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries), red adzuki beans covered in sweetened condensed milk, rice mochi pieces, and whipped cream.
So, it's creamy but not heavy. This is the fruit and red bean variety, but the place I got it from also has a mixed berry variety and an Oreo cookie variety. Oreo might be too sweet for this. I liked the tartness of the berries to offset some of the sweetness. Honestly, it would probably be great with the shaved creamy ice, red beans, and sweetened condensed milk. The red beans were almost cake-like I guess. If you have had a variety of things with red beans, maybe you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

I don't know that I've written much about Korean food on here other than the Seattle post. We don't have a lot of Korean places around OKC. However, I'm on a major Korean kick lately. So after movie and sushi, I went to the sweet shop connected to the sushi restaurant. They carry boba tea, milkshakes, frozen yogurt, fancy cakes, Japanese ice cream, Bingsu and a couple Vietnamese desserts I've never tried. Those will be next, but it'll be hard to top bingsu.

Is it for everyone? Probably not. There are a lot of textures going on in this dessert, some unfamiliar to a lot of Americans. It might be something to split with friends if you aren't sure as it's pretty big and kind of pricey (as are most things at the sweet shop).

Would I get it again? Definitely. It would be really good in the hot summer. It's like refreshing ice cream without as much of the heaviness or a really creamy snowcone with more texture and depth of character.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kale Chips

Houston: Mostly Asian Inspired Road Trip Food

Washington (Seattle and Tacoma area): A Short Excursion