Yogurt of the World Part 1

I like to eat yogurt. Typically I'd eat things like Yoplait or Stonyfield. I have great memories of custard-style lemon yogurt from my childhood.
So, we decided to try every type of yogurt we could find in the surrounding area.


Boring old yogurt

Regular yogurt: I like this okay. It's milky and a bit creamy, comes in lots of flavors and has good health benefits, but often has artificial ingredients that I don't really like. Plain yogurt is sour, but the flavors that are usually added cover the sour flavor with sweet. It also comes in containers to make it easier for kids to eat, like gogurt (dressed up almost like an ice pop) or, as they serve it in my school, in containers the kids can crunch up. This is found pretty much anywhere and has been around a long time. I liked the whipped kinds when I was younger, but they have been replaced by "thick and creamy" kinds which are almost more like custard than the honey-thick of typical yogurt.

Look, honey included :)

Greek-style: This is a little thicker and creamier than "regular" yogurt, though not quite as thick as custard. I like it, probably more so than regular yogurt. It's becoming more popular, and every time I go to the store I seem to see another brand. Usually I eat it with honey, but they are starting to have the same flavors as regular yogurt. This can be bought anywhere, from Buy For Less to Whole Foods.

So many flavors, so much yum

Icelandic skyr: I absolutely love, love this yogurt. I would eat it every day, but it is far more expensive than other types of yogurt. It's got no artificial ingredients and is sweetened with agave. It's really thick, almost like commercial frosting in thickness because it has three times the amount of milk involved in its production. However, it's also fat-free and that seems to be a traditional Icelandic way of making it. We got vanilla initially, and it still had that little bit of sour bite to it. I've also tried the orange and ginger, flavored with orange oil and little ginger chunks. I've found this at Target and Whole Foods.


My frozen yogurt is never this healthy (or this small)

Frozen yogurt: This has been around for a long time. I enjoy it every now and again, but I think of it as dessert rather than a snack or part of my meal. Little shops that let you pick how much, combinations, and toppings are popping up all over the place. I can think of three within half a mile of my house, two of them locally owned. I have been to a place where it tasted like regular yogurt that had been processed into frozen. It kept it same flavor as regular yogurt. It was a great place that had boba tea too....I miss that place. Usually, though, there is one "tart" or "plain" yogurt among the other dessert-type yogurts. If you are being health-conscious at that moment, there are lots of fruits and can be used as toppings. There are also candies and cheesecake bites, and cookies, and all sorts of horrible yummy toppings. I go for a mix of the two typically, eat my fruit first like a good girl and then have my dessert.

Next time: a break from yogurt, we go to cherimoya (chilled in the freezer)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kale Chips

Houston: Mostly Asian Inspired Road Trip Food

Natural Food Stores Part 2