Roasted Okra, Tortillas, and Green Chile Chicken Something

This past week has been a flurry of activity with getting a job set up as an independent contractor, being sick with a virus or maybe allergies that waxed and waned throughout the week, remembering how to knit (especially the casting on and purl parts of knitting), and just general gear up to a more structured time. All of that being said, I was unable to cook quite as much as I had been. Setting up shop and being sick was the biggest part of that, so hopefully I will be able to go back to some of it as things settle into a new normal.
I did, however, have some time to cook. So, here are the feastings of the last week:

Roasted Okra

This is my absolute favorite side dish ever, except maybe mashed potatoes with my mom's roast gravy. I would seriously eat this every single day, and if I didn't live in an apartment I would totally plant okra for next year. Roasting the okra takes away a lot of the gooey-gummy fluid. It still tastes "green" but in the best way possible. Even the ends and the sort of "woody" ones turned out soft and fabulous. I fixed these similarly to the way I fix Brussels sprouts. 400 degrees, doused liberally with olive oil, but instead of Allegro Marinade (which I use for Brussels sprouts) I used Hidden Cove Lemon Garlic Blend from Savory Spice Shoppe in OKC. I like it because they make it in house and it's natural. It also makes for a great spice in so many things I cook. We had this two nights in a row and I got more at the garden this weekend. We'll probably have it at least one night this week. I do recommend staying away from the ones that crack as you cut the tops off. I didn't try any of them, they were far too woody. A little snap at the end is okay as they almost all seem to do that.

Tortillas

I made these way too thick. They were eh, okay whole wheat tortillas. I ended up having to switch pans after a few because it wasn't working with my first pan. I was inspired by my friends Jeremy and Bethany who had been showing their separate naan skills. I planned on making naan, but the recipes I found all had more ingredients that I had on hand. Jeremy had also made some tortillas, so I thought I might try my hand at that. His probably turned out great. Mine were eh. As I said before, they were way to thick and that impacted them a lot. I also had used a 2:1 ratio on the flour of whole wheat to AP which wasn't really taken into account in the recipe. Maybe next time I will try with lard and just AP flour or something.

Last but not least:
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Rice Slow Cooker Thing

Yeah, this doesn't have a name. It is a variation of a variation of a thing I made up years ago to get some stewed chicken. I love love love stewed chicken, but I don't make it all that often because I usually use 2-3 cans of an expensive semi-condensed cream of mushroom soup and then add a bunch of stuff to make it a whole meal (my favorites are quinoa and fresh asparagus). This particular variation of my stewed chicken dish is also a take on my mother's green chile chicken enchilada casserole. I don't have a picture because it's not the prettiest dish...and...I just didn't get around to it. It's got a lot of canned ingredients, so it may not be for everyone. We had it for 3 meals in 3 days though, so I'm thinking it was a hit.
Really quick sort of recipe: 2 chicken thighs frozen and uncooked, 1 box of chicken broth, 1 white onion, 8 oz of brown rice, 2 cans of Hatch green enchilada sauce, 2 cans (or 1 bag frozen) of corn. In a slow cooker place the chicken and broth and set on low. You can add the sauce now or later. I did one can after the chicken had cooked. When the chicken is cooked, dice and add the onion, an hour or so later add the rice (and corn if it's frozen) and set to high. When the rice is done, add another can of sauce and the corn (if it's canned). Let it sit for 5 min on high then serve with cheese, fritos, sour cream, or just plain as we did the first two times.

Anything anyone wants me to try?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kale Chips

Houston: Mostly Asian Inspired Road Trip Food

Natural Food Stores Part 2