Once-A-Day Homemade

Wow, it's been while.

So, job hunt is taking longer than anticipated. We're kind of on money crackdown around here, and we've been needing to eat better anyway. All of this leads to a shift in the amount of "from scratch" non-fresh veggie food we consume. Sure, in the past I have cooked many things from scratch, but often things like desserts, breads, and condiments would come from a package. This past week I've been trying to make at least one major thing from scratch that I would normally have bought (or it's general equivalent in the case of ice milk). Much of it is bread-based. Normally we don't eat much bread, but it's super cheap making it ourselves and we don't seem to have any wheat or gluten intolerance. We can also flavor it the way we want (usually with Italian herbs), and it has so few ingredients that I feel it's fairly healthy.

We have had:
ice milk (a much simpler version of homemade ice cream that lack some of the creaminess, but consists of none of the effort and half the ingredients)
whole wheat "rustic" bread (also low ingredient)
Worcestershire ketchup (easiest thing, like 5 ingredients)
pizza (I will admit, we used Whole Foods bought pesto for this, the toppings actually we almost all bought there. I'm just not to that level of ability yet. I did however, made the dough.)
How can you say no to this?

breadsticks (2/3 whole wheat and very low ingredient number)
tomato sauce, essentially marinara (for dipping bread sticks. I have trouble with digesting tomatoes, but I suffer through it for my awesome sauce. Probably tonight I will be sick and curse tomatoes, but right now it's so good that I don't care.)
I could live on this, until my acid reflux ate me alive.

So, yeah, the idea is that about once a week I'll chime in on the cool stuff I've been making. That way I won't clog feeds with pics of food. If people want recipes, I'll put them here.
None of this stuff is really crazy, but next week I'll probably have several items about okra which might qualify as that.
Now, I'm off to enjoy the rest of my breadsticks and sauce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kale Chips

Houston: Mostly Asian Inspired Road Trip Food

Natural Food Stores Part 2