Fair Food

It is that time of year again. I have great memories of the Great State Fair of Oklahoma. Even just thinking the words reminds me of the old jingle. My grandparents and parents would take my brother to the fair every year. We'd ride a couple of rides, go through the crazy houses, go up the space needle, go on the monorail, go up the Oklahoman Tower (usually just dad and me), and always get cotton candy on the way out. It was a big deal back then. Our school would let out for the day and we'd get free tickets. My parents would take another day later on to look at all the "boring" stuff like the different businesses peddling their wares or the photography exhibit.
Now it's different. We go to the fair with other adults, so far there are no children old enough to ride the rides or anything. Instead of ride tickets we get crazy fair food. I'm sure as our families grow and our fair budget stretches this will decrease (just like medieval faire) but for now we have the Fair Food edition of You Ate What...?

I was too hungry to take a picture of the actual item, and honestly it wasn't that weird.
Thing I Ate: Lemon Curd Crepe. They make the crepe when you order it, fill it with homemade lemon curd, cover it all up and top it with blueberry brandy compote stuff and whipped cream. It was okay. I'm wondering if the chocolate covered cookie dough wouldn't have been a better choice. Ah well, there's always next year.

Next we walked around a whole bunch and finally settled on some more savory fare.

Weird thing I ate: Lengua Quesadilla
Okay, quesadilla is a stretch. I was expecting something grilled with nothing but meat and cheese. I got lettuce, onions, tomato, a tiny bit of cheese, and lengua (or cow tongue). I've never eaten cow tongue. It's extremely rich, much more so than I had expected for a giant muscle. I could not eat much of the rest of it since I don't really like tomatoes or raw onions and the odd maybe sour cream thing (that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole normally) kinda doused the experience for me. However, the point was the lengua and the lengua was delicious.
I did not try the frog legs, the gator, or the Really Mad Deep Fried Turkey Nads. I think lengua was more than enough.
John did try the deep fried bacon. Actually we all tried John's deep fried bacon. It was okay, though very greasy for obvious reasons.

We walked around a bit more and finally were ready to leave. We wanted to try a couple more things though.


The quintessential fair-type food - chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick. That was mine. I was going to share it with John, but then he found the second food. A PBJ Frenchee, a deep fried PBJ sandwich. I did not try it, I do not hate myself that much. He seemed to like it though, after he got molten peanut butter off of him.

So tally: lemon curd crepe: .6 (curd was eh, crepe was eh, blueberry brandy compote was good), lengua quesadilla: .4 (lengua was great, everything else was mediocre at best and the sour cream kinda ruined it for me, but it would have gotten a higher score from someone who liked sour cream probably), chocolate dipped cheesecake on a stick: .7 (pretty heavy fare for dessert, but a good fair food), and John's score for the PBJ Frenchee: .4 (the sandwich was great, but he thought the oil was old and kept it from reaching its potential)

Stay tuned for next time's fancy drinks edition (homemade sodas, Keurig and Toddy cold brew coffees)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kale Chips

Houston: Mostly Asian Inspired Road Trip Food

Natural Food Stores Part 2